|Tagline:||His whole life was a million-to-one shot.|
|Genres:||Action | Drama | Romance | Sport|
|Released:||21 November 1976 (USA)|
- One of the greatest underdog stories ever told. Fantasically written by Sylvester Stallone, who at the time was a complete unknown and recieved an Oscar nomination for best original screenplay. We think he should have won.
- Big props to Sly Stallone who wrote the screenplay, refused to sell it to the bigger movie studios (who wouldn't let him act for the lead role), made the film on a rediculously tiny budget, and then the film goes and gets 10 Oscar nominations, including 3 wins for Best Director (John G. Avildsen), Best Picture and Best Editing. "Hey Yo Sly ... you did it"!
- Rocky Balboa is simple one of the most identifiable characters of the 'Golden Era' of movies. He even has his own statue in Philadelphia!
- The ending to this movie is magic. The climax of the fight, the cheer of the crowd, the music, the love story. It's a formula so many other movies try to match. Even Sly admits to trying to get the same magic in his future films, but could never quite make it so perfect again.
- This film went on to create one of the most succesful movie franchised of all time, and launched Sylvestor Stallone into a box-office action hero. He would later go on to open Planet Hollywood with Arnold Schwarzengger. A true underdog story!!
This is the film that catapulted Sylvester Stallone into the international spotlight and launched one of the most successful series of films in movie history. Rocky won the 1976 Academy Award for Best Picture and two nominations for Stallone for leading actor and writer. This is the story of a loser, a two-bit boxer from Philadelphia, who gets a second chance in life by being offered an impossible shot at the heavyweight title. Stallone's performance is as powerful as his character's punches in the ring. This is one of the most exciting action movies you will ever see.
You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!
Apollo Creed vs. the Italian Stallion. Sounds like a damn monster movie.
[Last lines; Adrian snuck inside the ring][grabs and hugs Rocky] I love you![out of breath] I love you. I love you.