Das Boot (1981)
|Tagline:||A journey to the end of the mind.|
|Genres:||Action | Drama | History | War | World-Cinema|
|Released:||17 September 1981 (West Germany)|
|Length:||149 min (209 min - director's cut)|
- Quite simply one of the finest movies ever made. Most people have probably never heard of it as it is a non-english language film made in Germany, that got dubbed for the english audience. It got nominated for 6 Oscars and is in the IMDB Top 100 films ever for a very good reason.
- It's one of only 3 films that we have given a 10 out of 10 rating to, not something we do lightly. Big respect to the Writer-Director Wolfgang Petersen, who would later go on to direct other greats such as "The Never Ending Story", "In the Line of Fire" and "Air Force One".
- Jürrgen Prochnow performance as "Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock" is one of the finest you will ever see.
- It's the original submarine action-thriller movie, and the one by which all future attempts will be compared to.
- At over 3 hours long (for the director's cut), it takes a hell of a film to keep you hooked for over 200 minutes, but you WILL be hooked. A must see, especially for war-film fans.
Das Boot is a graphic and gripping tale that follows the daring patrol of U-96, one of the famed German U-Boats known as `The Grey Wolves'. Prowling the North Atlantic, they challenged the British Navy at every turn. The crew aboard the U-96 is portrayed in a desperate life-and-death struggle, coping with life beneath the waves quickly gives way to terror when confronting the enemy...
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!
[Werner takes pictures of the watch officers on the conning tower]
[pause]I feel ancient around these kids, like I'm on some Children's Crusade.