The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (1966)
Theatrical release poster
- Yes, it's not strictly from the 'Golden-Era', but on compiling our list of greatest westerns, we just couldn't leave this out!
- It's the definitive spaghetti western masterpiece from Sergio Leone (who founded the entire genre himself). The final and greatest of the Fistful Trilogy, and one of the greatest films (across any genres) of all time.
- A trailer that needs to feature no character dialogue, just a little naration ... and enough to give you goosebumps about the awesomeness of this film.
- All three lead actors, Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach, are brilliant with probably career defining roles in this very movie.
- One of the greatest and most recognisable movie scores from the Italian master: Ennio Morricone.
- The 3-way "Dance Of Death" is one of the greatest movie scenes of all-time. Fact.
Starring: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach. Directed by Sergio Leone. For three men the civil war wasn't hell. It was practise!
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. We cut down my percentage - uh, cigar? - liable to interfere with my aim.
But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco. Nothing!
[Chuckles, bites cigar]
Hurrah! Hurrah for the Confederacy! HURRAH! Down with General Grant! Hurrah for General... What's his name? Lee! LEE! Ha ha. God is with us because he hates the Yanks too. HURRAH![spits]
God is not on our side because he hates idiots also.
[the commander of the cavalry patrol they've met reveals his blue uniform]
[surveying some Civil War carnage]
I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
Two hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money. We're gonna have to earn it.